Sunday, November 18, 2012

Think 'Caveman'

Have you ever heard of the Paleo Diet? I hadn't either until I came home to Arizona and my mom threw a recipe in front of me and said "let's bake." If I ever have any down time, I definitely enjoy experimenting in the kitchen. What is the Paleo diet you ask? Simply put; following the diet of our ancestors. Essentially eliminating all processed foods from your diet. Its the modern stone age diet consisting of fish, veggies, fruit, nuts, no dairy or grains and the list continues. In the words of Dr. Will Clower, who follows a similar lifestyle, "If it doesn't grow from the earth, don't eat it." Now that seems near impossible considering how everything in America is processed, mass produced, sprayed with chemicals or manipulated beyond its intended original form.

I just read an article in the November issue of Women's Health about the undisclosed significant amount of 'Food Fraud' that occurs across the world in which we consume on a daily basis. Much of it is undetectable, never checked, and ultimately results in human death. By the time the crime is discovered, it is often too late. It is crazy to think that 15 percent of all food imported to America passes through 300 some odd points of entry and only a fraction of it is checked. They say combating food fraud is just as hard as detecting it. Now that's a scary thought.

Talk about a simple, easy, healthy and filling recipe! I highly recommend this one, straight from the Paleo Diet, 'Morning Glory Muffins.' The hardest part of the recipe is grating the carrots and apple. Here is a before and after shot of the muffins with a glimpse of the recipe instructions themselves. Perfect for a snack or breakfast. A healthy option for consuming less calories and feeling full faster. Try it out and tell me what you think!

2 comments:

  1. Are you going to give this diet a shot? You would think it would be easy to eat things only from the earth.. but I would suspect it is actually really difficult. Muffins look great - I will give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Nicole! I would like to try some more of the recipies from this diet (you can find these under my favorite blogs section). Hope you enjoy the muffins!

    ReplyDelete